The addition of a fruity compote can elevate even the simplest dessert.
This blueberry compote with a hint of maple syrup and lemon creates an indulgent deep purple sauce - perfect for drizzling over pancakes, waffles, or creamy desserts for a burst of fruity deliciousness.
Makes approximately 3/4 cup
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Place half the blueberries into a small pot (keep the rest for later).
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot and bring it to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- After about 5 minutes, add the remaining berries and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Leave to cool and little, and gel up.
- Use to enhance the flavour and presentation of your desserts.